If you want to know how to start a blog, you’ve come to the right place. Whether you want to work from home, author a book, get more exposure for your existing business or simply write, starting a blog and/or website is highly recommended.
In this post, we outline exactly how we’ve built most of our own sites. This guide has helped countless others get started too.
You will learn how to build your own self-hosted blog using WordPress, one of the most popular kinds of sites around.
Steps needed to start a blog – An overview
- Choose a domain and Purchase hosting
- Install WordPress
- Start using WordPress
Step 1: Choose a domain name and purchase hosting
A domain is a web address. For example, earnmoneyonlinepro.com is our domain. If you don’t have a domain, get one easily. Check out our “Buy domain name and Hosting” post. On this post you’ll learn how to choose a domain name and buy hosting for your blog.
Step 2: Install WordPress
WordPress is one of the most popular blogging platforms around for good reason. It is easy to install and features an attractive, user-friendly interface. At HostGator, you can install WordPress through Quick Install .
- Log into your cPanel.
- In the Software section, click on the QuickInstall icon:
- On this page you will then click the One-Click Installs option:
- Next, select the WordPress icon
- Using the drop-down menu chose the domain that WordPress should be installed to as well as any subdirectory you would like the site to load from if desired (directory is optional).
- Complete the form that appears with the following details:
- For Blog Title, enter the name of the website. This is what will appear in the header as the name of your site.
- For Admin Username, enter your preferred username.
- Your first name.
- Your last name.
- For Admin Email, enter an email address where you want the admin password emailed to. Make sure this is a working email address.
- Check the box next to the Terms of Service Agreement.
- Click the orange Install button when you’re ready to proceed.
- A progress bar will inform you of the progress of your installation. When complete, click Details for your admin URL, username, and password:
Once the installation is complete, and you have your credentials, you can begin working on your WordPress site! Check your email for the WordPress username and password as well as a link to your WordPress admin page.
To edit and personalize your blog, you need to log into your WordPress admin. You can access this by going to: yourdomain.com/wp-admin.
Here, you’ll need to enter your user credentials to log in.
You will be able to see your blog at the address you have chosen: http://www.yourdomain.com, and your blog will look something like this:
Step 3: Start using WordPress
Start using WordPress. You can check our post “WordPress Tutorial“, and you will learn in a very easy way, how to create a blog.